- Support NDN
TODAY: Kicking Off A New Discussion Series on the Economy with Jagdish Bhagwati and Robert Shapiro
Please join NDN and its affiliate, the New Policy Institute, next Tuesday, September 8 at noon for the kick-off a new series of events discussing the challenges facing the American and global economies. The series, coming months after policymakers confronted the most serious global economic crisis of the modern era, will examine domestic and international economic issues with the ultimate aim of envisioning a new economic strategy for the age of globalization. This event comes at a particularly important moment in this conversation as America and the world's leading economic powers prepare for the G-20 meeting in Pittsburgh later this month.
Joining us next week will be leading international economist Dr. Jagdish Bhagwati, Senior Fellow for International Economics at the Council on Foreign Relations, the University Professor at Columbia University, special adviser to the UN and the World Trade Organization, and author of In Defense of Globalization and Termites in the Trading System. He, along with NDN Globalization Initiative Chair Dr. Robert Shapiro, will discuss America's international economic policy, the upcoming G-20 Summit, and the future of global economic liberalization. Shapiro will open the event with brief remarks and moderate a question and answer period. Both speakers will take questions both from the live audience and those watching online.
Background from Bhagwati and Shapiro:
- Noticing and Solving the Problems with Jobs and Wages by Robert Shapiro, July 23, 2009
- Legal Trade Barriers Must Be Kept in Check by Jagdish Bhagwati and Arvind Panagariya, Financial Times, June 12, 2009
- The G-20 Summit and Beyond (video) Robert Shapiro, April 3, 2009
- Check It by Jagdish Bhagwati, The New Republic, April 1, 2009
- President Obama and Trade Policy (speech) Jagdish Bhagwati, February 19, 2009
- The Fallout of the Great Recession for Trade by Robert Shapiro, February 11, 2009